Saturday, January 19, 2013

EASY Chicken Pot Pie

Hello friends!

I am sooo proud of myself. I made a Chicken Pot Pie from scratch!



Remember, I am Domestically Challenged, so this is a HUGE accomplishment for me! I had some premade pie crusts I needed to use. And yes, using premade pie crusts is totally ok and still considered from scratch, fyi ;) This is one of those "Lickdob" recipes. Have you ever heard of Lickdob? It is a thing my great grandma, in Michigan, used to make where you literally take any leftovers in the fridge and create something out of it. So I raided the pantry and fridge and used what we had.
 Remember my new motto...USE WHAT YA GOT!

The basic recipe includes:
2 unbaked pie crusts
1 1/2 lbs of cooked chicken
2 cups chicken broth
EVOO
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced thin
2 stalks of celery, sliced thin
4 tbs butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 milk

I added in broccoli and peas and seasoned with S &P, garlic powder, thyme, and TABASCO. Because yes, my friends, Tabasco makes everything taste better! I also substituted canned white meat chicken breast. I have an aversion for any canned meats. But I tried someones recipe using this chicken breast from Sam's Club and it is actually really, really good. I highly recommend it. It does not taste canned, is all natural white meat chicken, and is perfect for dishes where you will shred or chop chicken. 


First, heat your oven to 400 degrees. Heat a little EVOO in your pan and add onion, carrots, and celery. 

Saute for 5 minutes while you chop up your chicken. Then mix your chicken and veggies and set aside. 

Melt your butter in your pan then add the flour and cook for one minute. 

Whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer and continue stirring until sauce thickens.
(Congratulations! You just made Cream of Chicken!)

Pour the sauce over the chicken and veggies mixture, add your peas, and mix thoroughly.

Roll out one of the pie crusts and line your dish. Then pour everything into the crust.

Top with the other crust and make the edges as fancy as you like! :)

Bake for 30 minutes and voila!

Let it rest for awhile before you cut into it.

Yummmmm! It was SO good! Would you like proof?

2 comments:

  1. i have been wanting to make a pot pies. i think ill try this recipe it does look easy, and i like easy
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I believe you! Those pre-made crusts are the bomb. In fact we just had CPP last night! I only do a top crust and I cheat and use cream of mushroom soup (cause i had it). It was so good - my dish looked like yours! I love the Lickdob philosophy (:

    ReplyDelete

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...